Saturday, January 08, 2011

Scientists at Work... in Madagascar

Through Mud, Sand and Water, the Long Road Home

 Two days with only light rain at night have provided us a window to make our way out. The obstacles will be mud, sand and water. But we are ready. Our vehicle recovery kit includes the following tools I would recommend to anyone traveling in Madagascar: We have a high lift jack (for lifting the car up, so you can shove rocks underneath a stuck wheel), jacking plate, three lengths of towing straps, two U-clamps, two pulleys, two shovels, two spare tires, two sand ladders and, most important, a winch. If you don’t bring a helicopter to the field with you, your next best miracle tool is a winch. I can’t tell you how many times the winch has come to our rescue, saving us from another night in the mud.

For the rest of the article, click here 



3 comments:

  1. I like that...That was real deep and caused me to think while I was reading it...
    -Kendra Vance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendra, I appreciate you visiting the blog, and noted your many comments. Yes, those are our dogs...some new, some old.

    Lots of thoughtful comments which I'll get back to when I have a little more time, but some serious extra credit coming your way!

    JG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people do the craziest things just to survive, but I dont blame them I would problaby do the same in there situation.

    -Claudia Sanchez
    Biology
    Period:4

    ReplyDelete