Monday, January 24, 2011


Chaser, a border collie who lives in Spartanburg, S.C., has the largest vocabulary of any known dog. She knows 1,022 nouns, a record that displays unexpected depths of the canine mind and may help explain how children acquire language.
Cass Sapir/Nova Science Now
Cass Sapir/Nova Science Now
Chaser belongs to John W. Pilley, a psychologist who taught for 30 years at Wofford College, a liberal arts institution in Spartanburg. In 2004, after he had retired, he read a report in Science about Rico, a border collie whose German owners had taught him to recognize 200 items, mostly toys and balls. Dr. Pilley decided to repeat the experiment using a technique he had developed for teaching dogs, and he describes his findings in the current issue of the journal Behavioural Processes. 

For the rest of this article, click here

5 comments:

  1. I guess it's just me and my dog, talking to each other...

    woof woof!

    No, really! You don't say!

    woof, woof, woof, woof!

    Well how about that...

    Well, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink.

    fuckin' woof!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this article...my cousin jas a dog that knows how to count....he will ask the dog whats two plus two and the dog will bark four times.....is it possible that the dpg really knows how to count?

    Miriam martinez
    Per: 3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, year by year dogs get more knowledgeable. Next thing you know, dogs are me able to speak. Animals never fail to amaze me. Reading this article made me think about all the astonishing things animals could possible do in the next couple of years.

    -Claudia Sanchez
    Biology
    Period: 4

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing.
    I always correct my mother because she says "They're just animals, they're stupid."
    I will show her this article and prove to her that this ANIMAL knows more English than she does.
    How awesome it would be to have an actual conversation with a dog! Not to mention that they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does that mean that dogs are the most smartest animals on all four. That's interesting because I always thought that cats were smarter than dogs.
    -Kendra Vance
    Forensic Science1

    ReplyDelete