Friday, January 28, 2011

25 Years Later, Challenger & Teacher McAuliffe Still Remembered 

I was about 20 years old when the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded soon after takeoff. I used to live not too far away from Cape Kennedy, where they launch the shuttles, and would often drive up to Cocoa beach to watch the shuttles take off, especially the night time launches. Way cool... 

I remember that I happened to be in an auto-supply shop when I first heard the news, and we all rushed out side to look up. I still feel a chill when I remember seeing the erratic plume of smoke and debris, and just not believing that it could happen. 

At the time, teaching was not in my master plan, but we all new of Christa McAuliffe, the teacher who was going into space. We all died a bit inside when that happened, but at the same time, I know that many of us felt great pride that a normal person, not too different than me, had "the Right Stuff," and she has always inspired me, to this day...



 

2 comments:

  1. That's a terrible tragedy . I imagine all the things that were going thru the teachers mind. I bet it was all excitement. Little did she know what was about to occur.

    -Claudia Sanchez
    Biology
    Period 4

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that was the case. Luckily we know that the accident killed the astronauts quickly, and they did not have much time to know what hit them. Still, not only was it a personal tragedy, but it set our space program back a decade...

    ReplyDelete