Saturday, June 04, 2011

A very controversial figure, boldly (whether rightly or wrongly) attacking a serious social question involving human rights, control over our own bodies, and how far religious perspectives, even commonly held ones, should be able to influence personal liberty...jg

Assisted-suicide advocate Jack Kevorkian dies at age 83

Jack Kevorkian, the retired pathologist who captured the world's attention as he helped dozens of ailing people commit suicide, igniting intense debate and ending up in prison for murder, has died in a Detroit area hospital after a short illness. He was 83.

Even admirers couldn't resist. Adam Mazer, the Emmy-winning writer for "You Don't Know Jack," got off one of the best lines of the 2010 Emmy telecast. "I'm grateful you're my friend," Mazer said, looking out at Kevorkian. "I'm even more grateful you're not my physician."

When asked in 2010 how his own epitaph should read, Kevorkian said it should reflect what he believes to be his "real virtue. "I am quite honest. I have trouble lying. I don't like people who lie."
 



3 comments:

  1. Dr Death is more of an angel.
    I wrote a paper about this topic at school and after some research and common sense, Pro Choice is always the way to go in my opinion.

    Just came by to feed the fish (:

    xoxo,
    Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally down with you there, sister. How is life post-high school going? Where/what are you up to? Message me at Faceplace or email me at jgiacobbe_southpointe@cox.net when you have some time. Peace, JG

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is a shame the way after his imprisonment tht dr. death became such an icon.. he ran for congess nd had a movie "You Don't Know Jack" made as his biography.. as bad as it was dr.death was just doin what he thought was the right thing to do at the time..
    -lorenzio

    ReplyDelete