Thursday, June 04, 2009

Kung Fu is Dead!

Actor David Carradine found dead

American actor David Carradine has been found dead in a Bangkok, Thailand, hotel, according to his personal manager, Chuck Binder.
David Carradine became famous in the 1970s after starring in the television series "Kung Fu."

David Carradine became famous in the 1970s after starring in the television series "Kung Fu." Binder said Thursday that the death is being investigated but could provide no other details. Carradine's death was "shocking and sad. He was full of life, always wanting to work ... a great person," Binder said, according to People magazine.

Carradine, who became famous in the 1970s when he starred as traveling Shaolin monk Kwai Chang Caine in the television series "Kung Fu," was 72. Modern audiences may best know him as "Bill" in Quentin Tarantino's "Kill Bill" films. He earned a 2005 Golden Globe nomination for his role in the second movie in the two-part saga. iReport: Share memories of David Carradine

You can read the rest of the obit here

It may be hard for some of you to imagine, but I watched Kung Fu religiously when I was a little kid, and I took it in deeply.

The spiritual side of a
Buddhist Monk, with the kick-ass side of an American Wild West hero. I know he was just an actor, but to me he was Kwai Chang Caine.

As mentioned in the article above, he was also Bill in "Kill Bill," but I'll always remember him as the gentle monk who never looked for violence, but when it came his way, he took care of business.

It introduced me to both
Buddism and the martial arts, and I started studying Judo right after that, which I practice to this day.

Namaste, David, and I hope your next incarnation brings you a better life. jg

No comments:

Post a Comment